Returning Applicant Log In
- Coordinate the full end-stage production of all HRW reports in print and on the web, including coordinating report and visual assets across program, digital, and multimedia;
- Coordinate the print and web publication process for HRW’s annual World Report, including all 80+ chapters and their translations;
- Obtain licenses for photos used by HRW, the rights to which are owned by agencies and independent photographers, and ensure that such photos are delivered on time to relevant HRW staff;
- Develop training materials and lead regular training for associates and research assistants on the publications process;
- Provide photo editing for pressers plus and back-stop photo team members on photo editing;
- Assist in compiling photographs and captions from photo archives for various print and web products;
- Maintain a production schedule for reports and associated assets (i.e., videos, photos, graphics, related articles), addressing both print and web versions; Liaise with colleagues in HRW’s Program, Digital, and Multimedia divisions; Update Director of Publications and Information Design regularly on key publishing dates and flag any potential scheduling issues; Liaise with printers on final print files and with Program and Media staff on scheduling web content;
- Format reports and associated assets for publication and web posting using Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, Macromedia Dreamweaver, and Photoshop;
- Correct and revise reports and related materials in multiple languages in both print and web;
- Maintain front-end and back-end digital library of reports;
- Provide support (e.g., formatting and sourcing photos and related assets) for the publication of other web content, including press releases, pressers plus, dispatches, blog posts, and witness and interview pieces;
- Provide administrative support such as scheduling, preparing for meetings, and processing invoices; and
- Perform other duties as required.
Experience: A minimum of two years of relevant experience in desktop publishing, basic web languages, or combination thereof is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills with meticulous attention to detail and strong follow-through are required.
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively across the organization are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required; proficiency in Arabic or Chinese is desirable.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
- Self-motivation and ability to take initiative, prioritize with minimal supervision, and work well in a fast-paced environment with team members in multiple locations are required.
- Solid experience with basic HTML coding is required; some knowledge of style sheets in Microsoft Word and experience working in content management systems are highly desirable.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop is required; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suites and cross-platform use of fonts are highly desirable.
Salary: Salary range starts at $48,762. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by 11:59 PM EST on September 29, 2017 by visiting our online job portal at https://careers-hrw.icims.com/jobs/1498/login. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email email@example.com. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
About Human Rights Watch
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.